Thursday, March 10, 2011

Imagining...

I don't know when I realised that I had a good imagination. It's just one of those things that's always been with me, and I always assumed that everyone was the same.

It wasn't something that I saw as an extension of personality, intelligence or character; just part of being human.

Over the years I've been involved with a few different communities on the internet, all of which had some creative focus. One of the parts in each that I always enjoyed, was discussing the process that brought everybody to their own characters, settings or stories. How they developed. The rough outlines. The little touches of colour that made each feel like more than a backdrop. These things always set my mind ablaze with possibilities, and a quick mention of "Homeless Yeti wandering through a meadow" would immediately be filled with a plethora details.

Just enough to taste it.

This photo is of a tree in the botanical gardens in Sydney. Ordinarily it looks quite mundane, but with the right twist of colours, it seems almost magical.

What invariably happened in each, is I'd start to talk with people about their ideas, and become something of a sounding board for them. Occasionally, I'd even help them workshop their ideas when they were stuck, or wanted to get a feel for what they were doing. I could somehow have my imagination jump neck-deep into their setting, and fish out anything that didn't seem to fit; whether they be details missing, or something that didn't belong.

That's how I came to the idea of this Professional Imaginer thing. I don't know if such a thing is possible, but I'd like to do that on a grander scale. Help as many people as possible, and perhaps one day, do it to get by while I try to write my own masterpieces, instead of trudging away in an office job. It's the dream at least, and the first step in making it happen is of course, imagining it.

That, I've got covered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a most satisfying career if it can be achieved. I look forward to your progress.

Unknown said...

It's going to be an interesting journey. This is the year when I actually start being more serious about the whole writer/etc as a business though.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Web Hosting Deals